The Olympia Yacht Club was organized in 1889 as the Olympia Motor Boat Club and was reactivated in 1908 with 27 boats. By 1910, ninety members renamed the group the Olympia Yacht Club. By 1915, the club had moorings at the city dock and began leasing the boat basin from the Port of Olympia. OYC opened it’s first clubhouse in 1930, remodeled in 1952 and the present facility was built in 1957. The OYC lighthouse tower at the foot of Simmons street at the caretakers house is a remnant of the 1930's structure.