This pint-sized town, known as Bucoda for the rest of the year, is defined by its history – its role as the site of the first prison in Washington Territory, its position on the first Northern Pacific transcontinental railroad, and its repute as a historic logging town with a “million-dollar payroll.” While many of these industries, and the community bustle associated with them, have left Bucoda, the community spirit of innovation and teamwork are evident when the town comes together for one frightful month in October. Check out these spooky happenings:
- The Scary Nights Haunted House happens each Friday and Saturday in October. The town gym, which has had reports of paranormal activity, transforms into one of the scariest haunted houses in the state. It’s not recommended for children nine and younger.
- On October 1, join or watch the Pine Box Derby Casket Race on main street. Businesses and individuals alike will be awarded for speed in the categories of first, second, third and ‘dead last.’ Creativity will be accounted for, with awards for Scariest Casket, Funniest Casket, and Best Costumed Team and Cortege.
- The Hearse Processional and Viewing event will take place on October 8th. In previous years there have been antique funeral carriage style hearses, classic hearses, and even an appearance from the Mystery Machine!
- Put on your best costume and participate in the costume contest on October 15th. The contest will be followed by a costume parade and Spooky Spring Costume Dash.
- Kids and adults alike will have a blast on the Family Fun and Fright Day with a Monster Mash Dance and Pancake Breakfast on October 22.
- Take place in a group re-creation of Michael Jackson’s Thriller dance, on October 29 during the Thrill the World Dance. Perfect those zombie moves with lessons offered on select dates throughout the month.
Boo-coda is located 20 miles southeast of Olympia. For a full calendar of activities, times, fees and more information is listed at boo-coda.com. by tagging social posts #ExperienceOlympia and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter (@Experience_Oly) and Instagram (@ExperienceOly).