The 1951 dream of a historic park around the Crosby House was realized in 1980 with the creation of Tumwater Historical Park near the City’s historic district. Thanks to the flow of the Deschutes River into Capitol Lake, the once muddy tideland now has a rich collection of riverine plants and habitat. The covered shelter at Historical Park is an extremely popular spot for family and class reunions, birthday parties, company picnics, and more. In addition to the reservable covered shelter, Historical Park also offers additional picnic facilities, restrooms, children’s play toys, river access, and trails. 17 acres in size.