Celebrating Washington's Unique and Diverse Maritime Cultures - Maritime Washington National Heritage Area
Over the next year, the nonprofit Washington Trust for Historic Preservation is working with local residents and organizations like Experience Olympia & Beyond to chart a course for the Maritime Washington National Heritage Area (MW-NHA.)
We’re proud to serve as an Anchor Organization for this planning effort, helping to spread the word about the MW-NHA and ensuring our community has plenty of opportunities get involved in the visioning process.
Encompassing 3,000 miles of western Washington’s saltwater coastline from Grays Harbor County to the Canadian border, the MW-NHA includes 18 federally recognized tribes, 13 counties, 32 incorporated cities, and 30 port districts, as well as innumerable harbors, inlets, peninsulas, island shores, and parks—all connected by the nation’s largest ferry system and an extensive highway networks. The area is rich with historic buildings and vessels, museums, and archival collections. The maritime industry remains a foundation of the region’s economy today. This heritage area builds partnerships and increases collaboration to support our coastal communities in celebrating, maintaining, and sharing their water-based stories.
Maritime Washington works to:
- Build a network of cross-sector partners dedicated to advancing and honoring Washington’s maritime cultures
- Provide support and resources for communities and Tribes working to enhance and share maritime heritage
- Share diverse stories and increase visibility of Washington’s maritime heritage, past and present
- Encourage sustainable experiences of maritime heritage for residents and visitors alike
- Preserve our region’s unique maritime identity, resources, and lifeways
Spend the weekend and find dining, lodging, events, festivals and entertainment ideas at www.experienceolympia.com. Make sure to share your best shots with us by tagging social posts #ExperienceOlympia and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter (@Experience_Oly) and Instagram (@ExperienceOly).