COVID-19: MEMBER RESOURCES & UPDATES
Experience Olympia & Beyond continues to monitor the quickly developing COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak.
Safe and healthy travel of our visitors is our highest priority. Travelers to Thurston County – and all destinations – should continue to observe the health recommendations of national and local public health officials.
TRAVEL COMES BACK
Travel is an extraordinarily resilient industry with a history of rebounding following significant public health and economic challenges. Experience Olympia & Beyond’s strategic sales and marketing efforts are focused on the rapid recovery of our tourism industry and economy. Follow the link below and, after providing contact information, you can watch CEO Shauna Stewart give a full update in her 2020 State of Tourism address.
BUSINESS IMPACT & RESOURCES
We understand that local businesses and employees will experience a catastrophic economic and personal impact from the Coronavirus. Our team is currently focused on assessment, response and communication. Together with local leadership organizations and Washington Tourism Alliance, we are tracking the impact of COVID-19 on the tourism industry. This data will help inform resource-allocation decisions in this time of crisis.
We are also focused on directing small businesses to the information and resources needed to survive this difficult season.
- The Thurston County Chamber of Commerce has released a Smart Restart Toolkit for businesses as the economy begins a phased reopening process.
- US Travel has released a phased restart plan for the travel and hospitality industry. Click here to read more about the new normal.
- The WTA (Washington Tourism Alliance) has created a list of State and Federal resources for businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- Read Thurston County Masking Directive
- Thurston County Health & Social Services regularly updates their COVID-19 page with a variety of important local releases
- The Thurston Regional Economic Recovery Task Force is developing and coordinating a multi-faceted response to the COVID-19 Pandemic and its specific impacts to and throughout our broader Thurston County Community. Head to ThurstonStrong.org for resources and information for workers and employers in Thurston County.
- After the passage of the CARES Act, we know that many of you have questions about what aid you qualify for and how you can apply for it. U.S. Travel has provided a number of resources including this FAQ sheet that may help provide some answers and make sure our industry is getting the assistance it needs.
- Economic Injury Worksheet: The EDC has provided this form to report the economic impacts of COVID-19 on local businesses. The information will be used to document the need for U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) assistance.
- The State of Washington and Governor Jay Inslee are working with local and federal partners to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19 and created a list of resources for businesses and workers.
- President Donald Trump declared a National Emergency on Friday, March 13, which opens up the opportunity for the U.S. government to provide financial relief and other assistance to businesses and organizations impacted by COVID-19.
- The Washington Tourism Alliance has compiled a list of resources for businesses.
IMPACT ON THE TRAVEL INDUSTRY
The Visitor & Convention Bureau is closely monitoring the impact of COVID-19 on the travel industry locally, regionally and nationally. The outbreak of COVID-19 is already having a significant impact on the economy and the travel industry. As more information comes through, we will continue to release more information and resources.
The Washington Tourism Alliance posted an updated Travel Advisory to the Washington State visitor-facing tourism website. Click here
Hotels can stay up to date on COVID-19’s impact on the hotel industry through Smith Travel Research’s weekly webinars and updates.